The Graystone exterior
It was originally to have been a 10-story hotel/office building. It wound up opening in 1922 with five floors, only two of which were completed. Despite its shaky beginnings, it became a virtual mecca for Detroit nightlife. Situated at Woodward and Canfield, the Graystone Ballroom was known for its sweeping marble staircases with hand-carved railings, its wide balconies that overlooked then-elegant Woodward Ave., and for the music that resounded there.

Previous - Next


Swinging Through Time - Graystone - Tour - Graystone Tour

© Blank Heron Productions