Avery Point Light
"This octagonal concrete tower was built to be a memorial tower and was never established as a manned lighthouse, although it once held an active beacon. The light was first lit with a low candlepower optic when Avery Point became a U.S. Coast Guard Training Center in 1944. The beacon was discontinued in 1967 when the Coast Guard closed the Center. The tower currently sits on the grounds of the University of Connecticut's Avery Point Campus."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.