Bass Harbor Head Light
"Mount Desert Island, Maine"
"This 32 foot tall cylindrical brick tower is attached to the one and a half story, wood frame, T-shaped keeper's dwelling. It is located on the southwest point of Mount Desert Island and marks the entrance of Blue Hill Bay and Bass Harbor. Originally equipped with a fifth order Fresnel lens, it was replaced with a fourth order Fresnel in 1902. It currently emits a red light and has a range of 13 nautical miles. It is one of the most scenic and often visited lighthouses in Maine."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.