Browns Head Light
"This 20 foot tall white cylindrical brick tower is connected to the 1-1/2 story wooden, cottage style keeper's dwelling by a short enclosed passageway. Located in Penobscot Bay on the northwest point of Vinalhaven Island, it marks the western entrance to the Fox Islands Thorofare. This light originally housed a fifth-order Fresnel lens which was replaced by a fourth-order Fresnel in 1902. It was among the last of the Maine lighthouses to be automated, and is still active today."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.