Burnt Island Light
"Burnt Island, Maine"
"This 30 foot tall white conical rubblestone tower is connected to the 1-1/2 story wooden cottage style keeper's dwelling by a long covered walkway. It is located at the south end of the island on the west side of the entrance to Boothbay Harbor. It was the tenth lighthouse established in Maine. The tower originally held a Lewis multi-lamp/reflector optic, but the lantern room was enlarged and refitted with a fourth-order Fresnel lens in 1857. The Fresnel lens was removed when the station was automated and is now on display at the Shore Village Museum in Rockland, Maine. This light was among the last of the Maine lights to be automated, and is still active today."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.