Butler Flats Light

"New Bedford, Massachusetts"


Built: 1898
Automated: 1978

"This 53-foot tall caisson lighthouse was built to replace the square lighthouse erected on Clark's Point in 1804. It is located in the New Bedford Channel at the entrance to New Bedford Harbor. Unlike other lighthouses built in the late 1890's, this is a brick tower with brick window sills and raised brick below the watchroom deck. It also has Italian-looking cast-iron brackets supporting the lantern gallery."



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-eighth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.