Cape Ann Twin Lights

"Thacher Island, Massachusetts"


Built: 1861
Automated: 1980
Decommissioned: 1932 (North light)

"These twin light towers are 124 feet tall and made of granite stones. They replaced the original 45-foot tall lights that had been built in 1771, the last of the colonial lighthouses. The current towers make up the last twin light station built. In 1932 the Bureau of Lighthouses deactivated the light on the north tower. In 1980 the Coast Guard automated the remaining light in the south tower and the fog signal."



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-eighth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.