Cape Cod (Highland) Light
This white cylindrical tower is 66 feet tall and its lantern is 183 feet above sea level due to the high cliff above which it stands. It is located in north Truro on Cape Cod's Atlantic coast. The first light tower on this site was built in 1797 and was 45 feet tall. It was rebuilt in 1853 on the same site. It was replaced by the present tower in 1857. In 1996 the tower and buildings were moved 450 feet further inland to protect them from certain destruction by erosion (the cliff's edge was within 100 feet of the keeper's dwelling).
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.