Cape Lookout Light

"Beaufort, North Carolina"


Built: 1859
Automated: 1950

This light is located at the south end of the Core Banks and is part of the Cape Lookout National Seashore. It replaced the original tower which was built in 1812 but deemed inadequate by the Lighthouse Board. The tower was painted its distinctive black-and-white diamond pattern in 1873 to make it a better daymark. The tower is in need of repair and its future uncertain as the shoreline around the lighthouse continues to erode away.



Navigational Options
Return to Seventeenth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.