Cape Romain Light

"McClellanville, South Carolina"


Built: 1858
Decommissioned: 1947

"This light sits on Raccoon Key, about 10 miles southwest of the entrance to the Santee River. It replaced the original tower (still standing nearby) which was built in 1827 but determined to be inadequate by the Lighthouse Board. This new light has a 150-foot-tall octagonal pyramidal tower. It was known for years as the leaning lighthouse, because its foundation began to sink after it was built."



Navigational Options
Return to Seventeenth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.