Conover Beacon

"Leonardo, New Jersey"


Built: 1926
Decommissioned: 1950's

This tower was originally the Bayside Beacon which was located at Point Comfort in Keansburg. It was renamed Conover Beacon when it was moved to Leonardo in 1941 to replace an original 1856 wooden structure. This metal tower sits on the shore and was the front range light marking the Chapel Hill Channel where it empties into Sandy hook Bay. It ranged with the Chapel Hill Lighthouse which sits up the hill about one and a half miles south of the beach.



Navigational Options
Return to Thirty-second Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.