Deer Island Thorofare Light

"Mark Island, Maine"


Built: 1857
Automated: 1958

"This 25 foot tall square, brick tower and attached entryway (known locally as the Mark Island Light) are all that remain of the one-time light station. It sits on the west side of Mark Island, at the south side of the westerly approach to Deer Island Thorofare. The original 1-1/2 story keeper's dwelling and other outbuildings were demolished after the light was automated. The tower originally held a fourth-order Fresnel lens."



Navigational Options
Return to Fortieth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.