Eagle Island Light

"Eagle Island, Maine"


Built: 1839
Automated: 1963

"This 30 foot tall conical rubblestone tower is located in Penobscot Bay on the east end of the island, which is between Deer Isle and North Haven. A wood framed, two story keeper's house and fog bell tower were built at the same time. In 1858 the lantern was fitted with a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The Fresnel lens was removed in 1963 when the tower was automated and the keeper's house and other structures were demolished. The light tower and bell tower are the only structures left standing. The light is still active today."



Navigational Options
Return to Fortieth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.