Hunting Island Light

"Beaufort, South Carolina"


Built: 1875
Decommissioned: 1933

"This light replaced a previous light built in 1859 that was destroyed during the Civil War. In 1887 this light, located about halfway between Charleston and Savannah, had to be moved due to beach erosion. It was dismantled and reassembled 1.3 miles from the old site and relit on October 3, 1889. The tower is still in good condition today and is located in Hunting Island State Park. It is open to the public for a nominal fee."



Navigational Options
Return to Seventeenth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.