Little Cumberland Island Light

"Little Cumberland Island, Georgia"


Built: 1838
Decommissioned: 1915

"This light is located on the northern tip of Little Cumberland Island on St. Andrews Sound. It is the most southerly of Georgia's five standing lighthouses. In the years prior to the Civil War, it was sometimes referred to as the St. Andrews Lighthouse. Surrounded by a heavy stand of trees, only the tip of the tower is visible from the water. Today, it is owned and preserved by the Little Cumberland Island Association, and is not open to the public."



Navigational Options
Return to Thirty-fifth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.