Marblehead Light (Mass.)

"Marblehead, Massachusetts"


Built: 1895
Automated: 1960

"This 105-foot tall cast-iron tower is the only skeletal lighthouse built in New England. It is located on Marblehead Neck at the entrance to Marblehead Harbor. It replaced a squat tower that had become obscured by new buildings in the area. That original tower was built in either 1833, 1836 or 1838 depending which account one is to believe. The skeletal tower is painted brown with a black lantern."



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-eighth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.