Morris Island Light
"Charleston, South Carolina"
"Located at the entrance to Charleston Harbor, the first light here was built in 1767 and was one of only two lighthouses found south of the Delaware Bay by the end of the Revolution. The original tower was destroyed during the Civil War. The keeper's dwelling of this present light has been claimed by erosion and the tower itself is now surrounded by water. This light served until 1962 when the new Charleston Light was put into service. It was privately owned until recently when it was purchased by the 'Save the Light' group and deeded to the State of South Carolina."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.