Nauset Beach Light

"North Eastham, Massachusetts"


Built: 1923
Automated: 1952
Decommissioned: 1993

"This 48-foot tall conical cast-iron tower was originally built in 1877 as one of the twin towers at Chatham. It was dismantled and moved to Nauset in 1923 to replace the last of the Three Sisters. It stands above the Nauset cliffs guarding Cape Cod's Atlantic coast. Originally placed some 200 feet from the cliff's edge, by 1996 it was only 37 feet from the edge. In November of 1996 it was moved another 200 feet inland, where it stands today near the previously relocated oil house. The light was relighted on May 10, 1997. Plans are being made to relocate the keeper's dwelling as well."



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-eighth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.