Cape Henry Light (Old)

"Virginia Beach, Virginia"


Built: 1792
Decommissioned: 1881

"Work first began on a lighthouse at this site in 1774, but due to lack of funds and the Revolution, work on it ceased until 1791. In October, 1792 it was finally lit. This light is located on the southern cape at the entrance to Chesapeake Bay. Today it is the central attraction of a plot of ground set aside by the Association of Virginia Antiquities to commemorate the first landing of English settlers on Virginia soil."



Navigational Options
Return to Tenth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.