Perkins Island Light

"Perkins Island, Maine"


Built: 1898
Automated: 1959

"This 23 foot tall octagonal, wood tower sits on a seven-acre island along the eastern side of the Kennebec River. The two-story wood framed keeper's house and barn were built at the same time as the tower. The tower originally held a fifth-order Fresnel lens which was removed when the station was automated. This light is the first of four Kennebec River lights encountered upon entering the river from the Atlantic Ocean enroute to the shipbuilding town of Bath, Maine. The other three are: Squirrel Point , Kennebec River Range Lights and Doubling Point ."



Navigational Options
Return to Fortieth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.