Plum Island Light

"Orient, New York"


Built: 1870
Automated: 1978
Decommissioned: 1978

"This white, wooden octagonal tower sits atop a two story granite keeper's dwelling. It replaced the original 30 foot stone tower which was built in 1827. The present tower housed a fourth-order Fresnel lens until it was deactivated in 1978. The light sits on the southwest shore of Plum Island at the inlet from Long Island Sound into Gardiner's Bay. It currently houses a USDA Animal Disease Center."



Navigational Options
Return to Forty-fifth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.