Pumpkin Island Light

"Pumpkin Island, Maine"


Built: 1854
Decommissioned: 1933

"This 28 foot tall cylindrical brick tower is located in east Penobscot Bay, and marks the northern entrance to Eggemoggin Reach. Connected to a 1-1/2 story Colonial Cape style keeper's house by a work shed, it held a fifth-order Fresnel lens, among the earliest in Maine to be installed. Deactivated in 1933, it was among several discontinued lighthouses offered by the government at auction. The property has since had several private owners."



Navigational Options
Return to Fortieth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.