Ram Island Ledge Light

"Cape Elizabeth, Maine"


Built: 1905
Automated: 1959

"This 72 foot tall, conical, granite block tower sits on a jagged stretch of rock which is visible only at low tide. It is located at the north side of the entrance to Portland Harbor. The light's third order Fresnel lens was removed in 1959 when it was automated. The gray granite tower has the appearance of being very old, even though it is one of the more recently built lights. This light is easily seen from the Portland Head Light. (Photo 1986, Maiden Journey)"



Navigational Options
Return to Maiden Lighthouse Expedition
Return to Fortieth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.