Rockland Breakwater Light

"Rockland, Maine"


Built: 1902
Automated: 1965

"This 25 foot tall, square, brick tower rises from the roof of a brick fog signal building which is attached to the keeper's dwelling. The structure sits on a rectangular platform of granite blocks. It is located on a stone jetty extending south from Jamison's Point to protect Rockland Harbor. The heavy traffic into Rockland Harbor makes this light and its foghorn very important. In 1991 the Coast Guard refurbished, scraped and painted the structure. The tower and fog signal building were returned to their original red brickwork. In 1998, responsibility for the station was assigned to the American Lighthouse Foundation, and in 1999 The Friends of Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse (a chapter of the Foundation) was formed. Extensive restoration and renovation are ongoing. (Photo 2002, Trip #40)"



Navigational Options
Return to Maiden Lighthouse Expedition
Return to Fortieth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.