Sapelo Island Range Light

"Sapelo Island, Georgia"


Built: 1877

"This 25-foot tall cast-iron range light tower sits some 660 feet to the east of the main Sapelo Island Light. During World War II, the tower served as a Coast Guard observation post against the German submarine threat. It was repainted in 1998 when the main light was renovated. The photo on the left is how it appeared in 1996 (27th trip) and the photo on the right is how it now appears (35th trip)."



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-seventh Lighthouse Expedition
Return to Thirty-fifth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.