"Saugerties, New York"
"Located at the mouth of Esopus Creek where it flows into the Hudson River, this 46 foot tall tower is attached to the two story keeper's dwelling and the entire structure sits on a massive circular stone base sixty feet in diameter. This light replaced the original lighthouse which was built here in 1838. The foundation for that original light remains as a small island adjacent to the existing lighthouse. Automation brought a modern light tower and the lighthouse was closed and fell into disrepair. The Saugerties Lighthouse Conservancy restored the building and the light was relit in 1990. It is still an active light and operates as a Bed & Breakfast year round."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.