Cockspur Island Light
"This light sits on a small oyster bed just east of the main island at the mouth of Lazaretto Creek, near Fort Pulaski National Monument. It once marked the south channel of the Savannah River. The first tower on this site was built in 1849 but was rebuilt in 1856 to this present structure. The light was dark during the Civil War, but was reestablished in 1868. It was discontinued in 1909 due to the unnavigability of the South Channel. It is currently owned by the National Park Service who completely restored the structure in 1978. It was given a much needed face-lift in 1991 by a crew from the Fort Pulaski National Monument."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.