Spring Point Ledge Light

"South Portland, Maine"


Built: 1897
Automated: 1934

"This 54 foot tall cylindrical, brick 'sparkplug' style tower, built on a cast-iron caisson, sits at the end of a 900 foot breakwater and marks a dangerous ledge on the west side of the main shipping channel into Portland Harbor. It includes four levels consisting of a galley, keeper's office and living quarters, assistant keeper's quarters, and watchroom. It originally housed a fifth-order Fresnel lens. The light is still in operation today, using a 300 mm modern optic. It is currently owned by the Spring Point Ledge Light Trust, and restoration of the interior of the tower is ongoing."



Navigational Options
Return to Fortieth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.