Twin Lights of Navesink

"Highlands, New Jersey"


Built: 1862
Automated: 1949
Decommissioned: 1952

"These 'twin' brownstone light towers are 64 feet high and 320 feet apart. They are connected by an 18 room brownstone keeper's and crew dwelling. The north tower is octagonal and the south tower is square and their focal planes are 246 feet above sea level. The north tower was taken out of service in 1898, but was kept ready as an emergency light. The current lights replaced the original twin towers which were established in 1828 to mark the western entrance to New York Harbor. The first Fresnel lenses to be used in this country were mounted on those original towers in 1840. Currently the north tower is open to the public and the attached dwelling houses one of the best lighthouse museums we've seen."



Navigational Options
Return to Thirty-second Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.