Amelia Island Light
"Amelia Island, Florida"
"This light sits about 2 miles from the north end of Amelia Island, on the south side of the entrance to the St. Marys River, the border between Georgia and Florida, near Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island's main town. It is situated more inland and on higher ground than most Florida lighthouses. The 64-foot tower stands 107 feet above sea level. This lighthouse was first built on the southern tip of Georgia's Cumberland Island in 1819-20 and was 50 feet tall. In 1838 it was dismantled and moved to Amelia Island and reassembled in 1839 when most reports say it was increased to its present 64 feet. The light was electrified in 1935. Still active, the lighthouse is now automated."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.