Key West Light

"Key West, Florida"


Built: 1848
Decommissioned: 1969

"This light sits at the southern tip of Florida's Keys. The tower is 86 feet tall, having been raised from its original height of 66 feet in 1894. The first lighthouse in Key West was built in 1825 closer to the shore on Whitehead Point, but was destroyed during a hurricane in 1846. This new tower was built on higher ground and further inland to help protect it from storms. The keeper's dwelling was built in 1887 and now houses a Lighthouse Museum."



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-seventh Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.