Ponce de Leon Inlet Light
"Ponce Inlet, Florida"
"The first lighthouse at this site was built in 1835 but was never lit before it fell victim to the seas a year later. The current 168-foot tower (203 steps) is located south of Daytona Beach and north of New Smyrna Beach along Florida's Atlantic coast. Until 1926, both the Ponce de Leon Inlet and its lighthouse were known as Mosquito Inlet and lighthouse. In 1970 the federal government decommissioned this light and built a more modern light at the New Smyrna Beach Coast Guard Station. However, it was recommissioned in 1982 and is still active today and is the site of a Lighthouse Museum complex."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.