Port Boca Grande Light

"Gasparilla Island, Florida"


Built: 1890
Decommissioned: 1967

This structure sits at the south end of Gasparilla Island and was originally known as the Gasparilla Island Lighthouse. It is a square dwelling with a pyramidal roof and a square light tower rising through its center. The station was decommissioned in 1967 but a local conservation group restored the structure and with permission of the Coast Guard it was relighted in 1986. It is planned that the lighthouse will one day house a maritime museum.



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-seventh Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.