Barcelona Light

"Barcelona, New York"


Built: 1829
Decommissioned: 1859

"This light has a conical fieldstone tower and is attached to a fieldstone keeper's dwelling. This is the only lighthouse in the world ever to have been lighted with natural gas (piped from a nearby natural gas well). This light was built with the intention of guiding vessels into Barcelona Harbor. The Lighthouse Board discontinued the light, however, when it discovered Barcelona did not have a harbor. Thus, its short-lived career. Today, it is a private residence."



Navigational Options
Return to Eleventh Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.