Beaver Island (Beaver Head) Light

"Beaver Island, Michigan"


Built: 1858
Decommissioned: 1962

"This light is located at Beaver Head, at the southern end of Beaver Island, and marks the west side of the approach used by most vessels passing from Lake Michigan into the Straits of Mackinac. The first tower on this site was built in 1852 but was rebuilt into this present tower in 1858. The keeper's house was added in 1866. It currently is owned by the Charlevoix Public School District and used as an environmental education center. (Photo 1992, Trip #12)"



Navigational Options
Return to Twelfth Lighthouse Expedition
Return to Thirty-eighth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.