Devils Island Light
"Devils Island, Wisconsin"
"This light was the last lighthouse to be placed in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior. First built as a temporary wood skeleton tower in 1891, it was replaced by this current 71 foot steel cylindrical tower in 1901. This light station consisted of two large houses - one for the keeper and another for his assistant. There was also a fog signal building and various other outbuildings. The station was so well run and comfortable that it attracted a visit from President and Mrs. Calvin Coolidge in August of 1928. This light was the last of the Apostle Islands lights to be automated."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.