Granite Island Light

"Granite Island, Michigan"


Built: 1868
Automated: 1939

"Located in Lake Superior, about 11 miles northeast of Marquette and 6 miles offshore, this cut stone house and tower have been lovingly renovated by its current owners since they purchased the island and lighthouse in February of 2000. The roof had caved in and the interior had been virtually destroyed by the elements. The island itself had been taken over by the gulls. Much hard work has gone into the restoration of this lighthouse. Visit their website at to see just how far they have come since they began."



Navigational Options
Return to Fifth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.