Michigan City Light
"Michigan City, Indiana"
"This lighthouse replaced an earlier wooden tower and house that, acording to legend, was blown down during a storm just after the keeper lit the lamp. The keeper in question, Miss Harriet Colfax, was one of the few female keepers on the Great Lakes and served a long tenure from 1853 to 1904. The light was moved to the structure on the east pier in 1904, but the house remained a keeper's residence until 1940."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.