Michigan Island Lights
"Michigan Island, Wisconsin"
Built: "1857, 1930"
"The original light built here (shown at right in the photo) was the first light built in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior. The lighthouse went out of service after a year but was reactivated in 1869 and stayed active until 1930 when it was replaced by the second light built here (shown at left in the photo). Actually this white skeletal tower with its cylindrical shaft (which houses the spiral stairway) was moved from Schooner Ledge on the Delaware River, near Philadelphia, where it had been constructed in 1880. It was reassembled here and relit in 1930. This light is still active today."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.