Mohawk Island Light

"Mohawk Island, Ontario"


Built: 1848
Decommissioned: 1969

"Located just off shore near Lowbanks, Ontario, this light originally guided ships heading for the harbor of Port Maitland and the first Welland Canal entrance. The entrance to the Canal was moved to Port Colborne 12 miles away, but the Mohawk Island Light remained in service until 1969. All that remains today are the stone walls of its dwelling and the shell of the seven-story tower."



Navigational Options
Return to Eleventh Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.