Old Mission Point Light

"Old Mission, Michigan"


Built: 1870
Decommissioned: 1933

"Mission Point, which divides Grand Traverse Bay into its east and west arms, was named after the Peter Dougherty Mission. The property is now maintained as a park by the State of Michigan and the lighthouse now serves as living quarters by township employees. The light stands almost exactly on the 45th parallel, halfway between the North Pole and the Equator. (Photo 1998)"



Navigational Options
Return to Second Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.