Passage Island Light

"Passage Island, Michigan"


Built: 1882
Automated: 1978

"This octagonal fieldstone light tower is attached to the 1.5 story Norman Gothic keepers quarters (also made of fieldstone) and sits at the southwestern end of Passage Island about 4.5 miles northeast of Isle Royale in Lake Superior. It marks a critical point to vessel traffic heading in and out of the Thunder Bay area. The tower is 44 feet high with a focal plane of 78 feet. It originally held a fourth order Fresnel lens which was removed in 1989. This still active light is identical to the Sand Island Light in Wisconsin's Apostle Islands."



Navigational Options
Return to Thirty-ninth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.