Pilot Island Light

"Pilot Island, Wisconsin"


Built: 1858

"This light sits on a small island 2 miles out from the Door Peninsula. During the early 1880s the assistant keeper here was Martin Knudson who, after a brief stint as lightkeeper at Michigans South Manitou Island, returned to Pilot Island as head keeper. While on the island, he saved several lives and his courageous actions earned him medals from both the Life Saving Benevolent Association of New York and the government of the United States of America."



Navigational Options
Return to Eighth Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.