Port Austin Reef Light

"Port Austin, Michigan"


Built: 1878
Automated: 1953

"The Port Austin Reef extends into Lake Huron off the tip of Michigan's 'thumb'. The dangers of this reef are made obvious by the several shipwrecks that sit at the bottom of the reef in the area near the lighthouse, which sits about two miles from the mainland. The light was modified to this present structure in 1899. It was abandoned by the Coast Guard in 1953 and major deterioration had begun as early as 1958. Restoration of the light began in 1984 by the Port Austin Reef Light Association and is still underway today. (Photo 1996, Trip #24)"



Navigational Options
Return to First Lighthouse Expedition
Return to Twenty-fourth Lighthouse Expedition
Return to Forty-third Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.