Whitefish Point Light

"Paradise, Michigan"


Built: 1861

"The lighthouse at Whitefish Point stands guard over the area known as the Graveyard of the Lakes, the site of many major shipwrecks, including the Edmund Fitzgerald in 1975. The current 'iron pile' tower replaced an earlier structure which was ill suited to survive the harsh Lake Superior winters. The Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society operates a museum in the nearby white building."



Navigational Options
Return to Second Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.