"This 61-foot tall conical cast iron tower stands between the east- and west-bound lanes of U.S. Highway 90 and is the centerpiece of the city of Biloxi. In 1867 it was coated with black coal tar as a rust retardant. This action started a myth that it was painted black to mourn Abraham Lincoln's death. It was repainted white in 1869, since the dark color made it difficult to distinguish in the daytime from the background trees. It is still used as a private aid to navigation. It was the first of many iron lighthouses built in the United States."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.