St. Marks Light
"St. Marks, Florida"
"This white conical tower is located south of Tallahassee in Apalachee Bay on the east side of the entrance to the St. Marks River in the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. When originally built in 1842 it was 65 feet tall, and then was raised 10 feet to its present height in 1883 when some other repairs had to be made. Some major damage to the tower occurred in 1865 when retreating Confederate troops set off three charges in the tower, but it was repaired and relighted in 1867. The light is now automated, but still active, and the keeper's dwelling is being used by a Coast Guard auxiliary."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.