"Ballycotton, Co Cork, Ireland"
"This light, built with old red sandstone quarried on the island, was built along with the one at Mine Head when construction on the Capel Island light was suspended. It is located on Ballycotton Island just offshore from the southern tip along Ballycotton Bay. Originally the tower was a natural stone color. In 1892 a broad, black band was painted round the middle of the tower, and in 1902 the entire tower was painted black. A fog bell was added in 1856. The bell was replaced by a reed-horn signal in 1909, which was replaced by a diaphone in 1924. This light was converted to electricity in 1975 and became fully automatic in 1992, although the keepers families had been moved ashore back in 1896."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.