Galley Head Light

"Castlefreke, Co Cork, Ireland"


Built: 1878
Automated: 1979

"This light stands on the southern tip of a headland known as Dundeady Island, though it is not actually an island but is joined to the mainland by an isthmus. The tower is 69 feet high and sits at the edge of a sheer cliff in a well-designed compound. The light was converted to electricity in 1969, and became fully automatic in 1979."



Navigational Options
Return to Twenty-second Lighthouse Expedition
Go to Alphabetical Listing
Go to Geographical Listing
Return to Lighthouse Home Page

Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Conceived and Developed by David S. Carter
Photographs by Donald W. Carter
Text by Diana K. Carter, Donald W. Carter & David S. Carter

Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.