Loop Head Light
"Kelbaha, Co Clare, Ireland"
"This light stands on the Clare shore at the Mouth of the Shannon which leads into the River Shannon. The first lighthouse here was built around 1670 and was a cottage-type light. That first light was replaced with a more conventional tower in 1802, and the present light built in 1854. It was converted to electricity in 1971 and automated in 1991. An explosive fog signal operated here from 1898 until 1972."
Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey
Copyright © 1995-2006 David S. Carter, Donald W. Carter, & Diana K. Carter. All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means, physical or electronic, in part or in full, without the express permission of the authors, is strictly prohibited.